Sunday, January 17, 2010

before the race


the announcer asked everyone
to place their hands on their hearts
as he sang the national anthem

amazing, how many
bowed their heads and closed their eyes
were they moved by thoughts of patriotism?
saying prayers of thanks for the ability to run?

or perhpas petitioning ONE
for the men and women of Haiti
whose race of "another kind"
has barely begun?


I’m pausing today, the 17th of January to write a note concerning the next week’s blog entries. If you have been following along, you know the photos I’ve chosen to use thus far have been from “slices of my everyday life” since January 5th. It is my hope to continue recording words and images everyday through this year of 2010. I wanted to let you know that this coming week will be a bit different. Yesterday, I had the opportunity of witnessing my son run in his first half-marathon. I took my camera, of course and shot several pictures before, during and at the end of the race. I found the day, and the resulting images quite inspiring. I have decided to devote this next week, (beginning today) to posting images from that race.


Seeing “life” as a race or journey is a well known metaphor. It is used in many great works of literature. I know it best, however, from the Scriptural references found in the book of Hebrews. The writer of Hebrews says in Chapter 12:1-2:


Therefore, since we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, let us strip and throw aside every weight and encumbrance, (the sin that clings so closely) and let us run with patient endurance and steady persistence the race that is set before us
focusing on Jesus who is the leader and source of our faith and also its Finisher…….



I can’t describe in words the feeling I had yesterday at the 4 mile mark as I began to see runners emerging from the fog. The verse quoted above flashed through my mind and I thought of those who have gone to heaven before us, watching as we run our individual races here on earth. Then, later, at the 9 mile mark and finally at the finish. On a cold, wet, overcast, January morning, it was truly an inspiring thing to see. I hope the images to follow will be an encouragement to you. I know that a few of you who follow the blog are runners. I hope you are especially encouraged. Thanks again for taking time out of your day to check out the blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment