Monday, April 25, 2011

challah
















flour
eggs
oil
yeast
and a little bit of
honey

take some butter
and a knife

then taste
taste
and taste again

this treasured
staff of life


*I realized on Saturday that I had not planned an adventure for last week. When I need a quick adventure, I often head for the kitchen where I can transport myself to another culture quickly. I decided to make Challah Bread to go with our Easter dinner. It was my first experience making it, and I found it to be easy and fun. It had been quite a long time since I had made yeast bread so when it came out so beautifully I was thrilled. My son and husband were home when I took it out of the oven. Of course, we had to sample it immediately. (Thankfully, the recipe produced two big loaves because we proceeded to eat almost half a loaf during our little tasting episode!) You can find the recipe I used at allrecipes.com. It is entitled Challah 1. If you try it, I’m quite sure you won’t be disappointed.

*“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts!” ~James Beard

1 comment:

  1. Happy Challah-day to you:) Great bread bringing back warm memories. Thanks Terry

    ReplyDelete