Sunday, May 8, 2011

green, (color speaks series)
















and you
my favorite

so often in the background

bespeaking
hope
meekness
and

magnificent mercy



*I realized this morning that I had forgotten to share my most recent adventure. Writing about green, hope, and mercy reminded me of it this morning. Last Sunday I was privileged to join some dear friends on an outing to Manhattan for a lovely afternoon filled with beautiful music. My good friend Kathleen and her family had donated their mother’s Steinway piano to the Kansas State University Department of music. The afternoon began by meeting Gary Mortenson , the head of KSU’s music department, at the music building where the six of us were treated to a private concert on the Steinway piano. Slawomir Dobrzanski , a brilliant concert pianist and native of Poland, played two Chopin pieces. The first piece took me to the magnificent ocean, a roaring river, and a rippling waterfall. The second took me to a forest glen where sunshine trickled through fragile leaves. I find it amazing how our senses are all connected. Like color, music too “speaks” and can bring incredible visual images to our minds.


Back to our outing…After the piano concert we drove to a lovely home on the edge of Manhattan where we attended a “salon concert”. We were treated to elegant appetizers on the balcony as we took in the view and warm sunshine. We then heard a woodwind quartet, followed by a brass quartet. The musicians were all KSU professors and were all obviously enjoying themselves. After the music we indulged in luscious strawberry shortcake and great conversation on the deck overlooking rolling hills of green. It was one of my more “cultured” adventures. :) And one I will remember always.

*"Life seems without effort when I am filled with music."
        ~George Eliot, The Mill on the Floss

Happy Mother’s Day, Moms!

No comments:

Post a Comment