Saturday, June 4, 2011

playing pieces (tidbit series)
















So, I recently bought an onyx backgammon set at a thrift store. Price: $8.00. When I saw it sitting there I was immediately struck by it’s uniqueness and beauty. I hadn’t played backgammon in years but remembered playing it with my husband in the early years of our marriage. I wasn’t even sure how many pieces were required or if this set was complete but I decided very quickly to purchase it. (unusual for me) Since that day, I have been playing cutthroat games of backgammon with my adult son. I’m competitive and my husband is competitive so needless to say, my son got a “double dose”. He REALLY hates it when I win. :)My husband is starting to play too. (Finally worked up his courage! :)) There are so many “tidbits” I could share as a result of buying the game that day in the thrift store. Here are a few:


Onyx is a semi precious form of quartz which has alternating straight bands of color, most commonly brown, tan, and white. The pieces in my game are BEAUTIFUL!

Sometimes gifts come in unexpected times and places. Keep your eyes open and say “yes” to them.

Take time to play games. It’s good for the soul.

The color of onyx is created by impurities that creep into the rock as it is formed. (Our impurities can be transformed into something beautiful.)

Laugh with your loved ones.

If you take up Backgammon, practice rolling doubles!

Even game pieces can be the inspiration for creative work:



 
 
This week's adventure: Going to an estate sale.   
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment