Sunday, August 21, 2011

sunflower (city market, kansas city)























So, yesterday we took our youngest son to the airport and said our goodbyes before he went through security at gate sixty four. He called last night, having arrived safely in Boston. His new adventure is graduate school at Boston University. At the end of his 21/2 years of training he’ll be an occupational therapist. With his tender heart and understated humor, I think he has found a good fit.


When he left Kansas the first time to do his undergraduate studies at Middlebury College in Vermont, I knew it would only be the beginning of many such adventures. I was right. But, little did I know then that I would be privileged to have him living at home again between said adventures. After finishing a two year stint in the Peace Corps he returned home to work and save money for this latest endeavor of graduate school. What a joy it has been to have him home after a six year absence.

But, life must go on and yesterday the time arrived for him to move ahead, once again. After dropping him off at the airport, we went to the City Market with our eldest son and our lovely daughter-in-law. We had a marvelous time among the colors, sounds, and smells of the market. This week I’ll be featuring some of the things that caught my eye there. I start with the sunflower as it makes me think of Ben…..a Kansas original, transplanted to Boston.

You are probably familiar with the following quote. I’ve come across it several times, but it is a good one and I think fits this post well:

“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” ~Dr. Seuss



No comments:

Post a Comment