Monday, November 25, 2013

Coffee, hiking, and music...

Friday was a “stick around SW Harbor Day”. On my way to Brandon and Laurie’s for coffee that morning I wondered if any of my previous coffee mates would be there or if I would find myself alone.  When I got there i was happy to see Hal sitting in the same seat he held before. It is HIS chair! And Bill was back too with another fellow I hadn’t met named Jim.  I was welcomed once again and conversation flowed freely. After telling them of my trip to Stonington, we talked about real estate, T.V. shows and movies, and Bill and Hal’s experiences in storms while at sea.  I mentioned the movie “The Perfect Storm “ and how it had given me nightmares. Bill said he was in that storm. (Though in a much larger ship than the fishing boat in the movie.)They were heading to Boston from London.  When the storm hit it turned their ship totally around and headed them back toward England. He said it took twelve hours to get her righted. He and Hal talked about how they wedged themselves in their beds during those storms so they could sleep and how it was impossible to eat as food would be flying everywhere.  

Jim wasn’t saying much. When I asked what he did for a living he told me he had been a ship builder and a home builder but he had suffered a stroke about 10 years ago that had put a stop to his building. I admired him for continuing to come to coffee and he was thankful that he could walk, talk, and still join in activities.
FYI, Hal likes West Wing and Jag. Bill likes British films and especially Agatha Christie films. He said the funniest show he ever saw was Death by Funeral. “But if you get it, be sure and get the British version”, he said. He lives alone and once a year goes to Ireland for a month by himself. He takes his golf clubs and rents a place in County Kerry. A man after my own heart! J

After breakfast I drove five minutes to the trailhead for Acadia Mountain and had a wonderful  hike to its summit which afforded a fantastic view. The path was mostly on rock and covered with pine needles and oak leaves. Fortunately someone (probably an employee of the park service) had marked the trail with little bits of blue paint along the way.




Without those marks I would never have stayed on the trail. It made me think of "life", and how for most things we go through, there are others who have gone before and can show us the way if we seek them out. People like Nevin and Jim who have experienced loss and made it through. And since my very thoughtful niece Kelly gave me Thoreau’s  book Into the Maine Woods to read on this trip, I also thought of Thoreau and his trip to Mt. Ktaadn (the highest summit in New England). He and his companion enlisted the service of two Indian guides who had intimate knowledge of the journey they were to undergo.

Thirdly, I was reminded of what I had read that very morning before starting off my day. From Jesus Calling by Sarah Young:

“Leave outcomes up to Me. Follow Me wherever I lead, without worrying about how it will all turn out.  Think of your life as an adventure, with Me as your Guide and Companion. Live in the now,concentrating on staying in step with Me. When our path leads to a cliff, be willing to climb it with My help.  When we come to a resting place, take time to be refreshed in My Presence.  Enjoy the rhythm of life lived close to Me.”

These little readings seem to always have a message for me at just the right time. J

The view from the top of Mt. Acadia:




At 6:30 I accompanied Susan, Steve and Mary to an evening full of music and great conversation. They are part of a group that meets once a month for a musical program followed by a sing along. Tonight’s program was a set of songs performed by Diana and Crow, a native American Indian couple.  Their music was beautiful and moving. (My list of splendid people is growing steadily!)
Saturday was a day trip Down East (down east is a sailing term… I would say I went “up northJ)
Included in the days events:
*A long slide in the car on some “black ice.” Whew!
*A visit to a lovely art gallery called Chapter Two. It was filled with different kinds of beautiful  art and owned and operated by Garry and Rosemary who just happen to be two more splendid people.
*A walk on the rocks at Schoodic Point. The winds were VERY strong and the waves donning their “white caps”.



A few more images from the outing:







Sunday was an eventful and wonderful day which I will share a bit about in a later post.
I realized last night that I have reached the half way mark of my time here. I must say it has exceeded my expectations in every way.

“What a large volume of adventures may be grasped within this little span of life by him who interests his heart in everything, and who having eyes to see what time and chance are perpetually holding out to him as he journeyeth on his way, misses nothing he can fairly lay his hands on.”  Lawrence Stern

I pray I will have eyes to see what God through all of His Creation is holding out to me. I want to fairly lay my hands on all that is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment