Friday, January 30, 2015

snow, solitude, and the sea

















I sit in a hotel in Portland Maine as i type this post. My husband and I are here celebrating our 35th anniversary. "Why Maine?" and "Why winter?"These questions (asked by many)  passed through my mind as i walked along the coastal path today taking pictures of Portland Head Lighthouse. "THIS," i think to myself is "why".
I meet two people during my walk on the snowy trail and both voice their amazement at what we are experiencing. We pass quickly respecting and understanding each others need for solitude in the face of such beauty.  This evening my heart is filled with gratitude for sea, snow, wind and weather. For solitude and a husband who understands.

"Our language has wisely sensed the two sides of being alone.  It has created the word "loneliness" to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word "solitude" to express the glory of being alone."  Paul Johannes Tillich, the Eternal Now



No comments:

Post a Comment