Tuesday, January 16, 2018

winter's brown

















it’s nine degrees
when i step foot 
onto the driveway

and start my trek
down the gravel
road

this kind of cold
creates
quiet

and i know it will not be
birds today
that stir my understanding

half way through the cornfield

when all i hear are sounds
of my own footsteps
through frozen snow

and the whisk whisk
of my ski jacket

i notice 
at my feet

dying weeds
brown and fallen
like a straw rug, woven
still bearing 
golden tint

and when i look up again

i am filled with
the black brown
circling round

the woods are dark today

the barren trees
bear their branches
into a stone cold 

sky


"I prefer winter and fall--when you feel the bone structure of the landscape--the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it. The whole story doesn't show.  ~ Andrew Wyeth 

The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man.  ~Introduction to the book of Job

No comments:

Post a Comment