Monday, February 12, 2018

a coyote, sent












I step out
onto the deck
this early
february morning

to clear my
thoughts
and leave go
the heaviness
that presses close

perhaps if i 
put it into a prayer
it will float away 
into the cold blue sky

but before i have time 
to utter a word

he is there

barely visible 
through the swaying 
pasture grass, golden

and somehow

his presence
takes hold of my
heart

and the heaviness
therein departs

as he disappears
to the waiting woods 

"Coyotes move within a landscape of attentiveness.  I have seen their eyes in the creosote bushes and among mesquite trees.  They have watched me.  And all the times that I saw no eyes, that I kept walking and never knew, there were still coyotes.  When I have seen them trot away, when I have stepped from the floorboard of my truck, leaned on the door, and watched them as they watched me over their shoulders, I have been aware for that moment of how much more there is.  Of how I have only seen an instant of a broad and rich life."
~Craig Childs, The Animal Dialogues: Uncommon Encounters in the Wild

"Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear."  Is. 65:24




2 comments:

  1. Terry, your post today especially moved me. My Monday is going to be exceptional, thanks to your words/photo.

    ReplyDelete