Friday, November 29, 2013

Coffee, Castine, and gale force winds.....


A quick catch up of the past few days.


Tuesday morning I had coffee with my favorite Maine coffee group. I was introduced to Steve who is a retired photographer. I told him (and Hal) that I was headed for Castine that day. He kindly looked at the map and showed me some back roads I “shouldn’t miss.” I think it was one of the most fun days of shooting yet. Castine is a beautiful harbor town off island. The Maine Maritime Academy, where Bill attended school, is located there. Tuesday we had a light snow so I enjoyed having that weather element to play with. Here are some images from my drive to Castine (thanks to Steve.)

















                               A building on Maine Street in Castine:



Lighthouse in Castine:




Along the harbor in Castine:




Wednesday was a  severe “weather” day. It rained all day and the winds were at gale force. (Don’t ask me what that means. I like how it sounds better than just saying they were strong winds! J  I’ll find out Friday  from the coffee group what qualifies as a gale force wind and let you know if you don’t already have that piece of information in your brain.)

When it comes to rain, I like this principle:

“I am sure it is a great mistake always to know enough to go in when it rains.  One may keep snug and dry by such knowledge, but one misses a world of loveliness.”  ~Adeline Knapp

I drove out to an area called Sea Wall so I could watch the waves come in. On one side of the road is a marsh. There was no fog that day.The grayness of these images is due to the sheets of torrential rain. I took these photos through the windshield between the wipers going up and down. J I couldn’t shoot outside the car as the camera would have gotten soaked and I wouldn’t have been able to hold it steady anyway. (In fact, I don’t know if I could have held myself steady!) I usually use a plastic bag to cover the camera body in rainy conditions but this was more that rainy conditions…..(gale force …remember! )



On the other side of the road is the sea……What a powerful force of nature she is. She amazes, frightens and excites me all at the same time. There was a fiercness about her today. I thought of a scripture verse that says God’s love for his creation is as wide and deep as the ocean.  I added the word “fierce” today. Fierce enough to come to planet earth and die.  I’ve always loved the C.S. Lewis quote referring to Aslan (the Chirst figure in his Chronicles of Narnia) which says “Safe? Of course He isn’t safe. But He’s good.” 







Can’t close without mentioning the wonderful piano/recorder recital practice I got to attend Tues. evening. Stephen (on piano) and Eileen (on recorder) will be giving a concert next Friday night which I will be unable to attend. I was gracioiusly invited to the rehearsal.  “Splendid” musicians and people!

Tomorrow I’ll tell you about the lovely Thanksgiving I had here on MDI. It was one that will be treasured in memory for years to come. 



2 comments:

  1. your accounts of the people and scenery are just amazing. the thought struck me today that you could make your trip into a movie! i bet you're overwhelmed by how God has met you on "the back roads." thanks again for letting us come along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kell, Yes, i am overwhelmed and quite amazed at all the goodness i have encountered on this adventure. I'm glad you take time to come along for the ride!! :) Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete