Saturday, November 30, 2013

A "Maine" Thanksgiving....


"An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way."

Well, i relate more to the artist in this quote. I like to say hard things in a simple way but it’s going to be very hard to explain what a wonderful Thanksgiving I had here in Maine. I’ll try hard to be an artist and keep it simple! :)

In the morning I went on a beautiful walk on a carriage road I had not yet seen. I passed at least five lakes during the two hour excursion.  To keep it simple I’ll borrow a quote:

“You will find something more in woods than in books.  Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters.”  ~St. Bernard

Just two shots from the morning walk as I was there a bit late for the good early morning light.









After returning to my home away from home, I enjoyed talking my family on the phone, reading, and resting. Then I went to Debbie’s house across the driveway. She owns the cottage house I am staying in and graciously invited me to join her along with family and friends for an evening Thanksgiving meal.

To Debbie, Skip, Justin, Leland, Kiera, and Sandy I say a hearty thank you for your most warm, kind welcome and  the wonderful time of sharing through your words of thankfulness around the bountiful table. This was the first Thanksgiving I have ever spent apart from family. But miraculously, I felt part of a new family. Debbie's adult sons reminded me of my own. What a privilege and blessing it is to enjoy friendship with one's grown children. After the meal we were joined by John and Nancy who brought a pie and some Indian drums. We gathered in the living room and sang songs while John played the guitar and Justin the drums. (And can he play those drums! The drums not only sang....they danced!) What a wonderful treat. It was a Thanksgiving not to be forgotten. I wrote a poem some months ago that came to mind as I considered this post:

kindness

like springtime in Copenhagen
or deep footsteps to follow
in blinding snow

it lets us know
we coexist
in our lemon yellow
yearning


The following image reflects the peace and light I felt at the end of Thanksgiving Day 2013. 



No comments:

Post a Comment