Thursday, November 21, 2013

The unexpected blessings of a bad battery.....

Let the computer saga continue. I have come to see my computer difficulties as a blessing in disguise. Yesterday I decided to go to Laura and Brandon’s for breakfast. I had googled “where the locals eat in SW Harbor” and their establishment came up. I noted only two other people in the restaurant when I walked in. They were a couple of retired gentlemen and they “happened” to be talking about computer problems. One mentioned a man that had really helped him out. I told them I didn’t mean to eavesdrop  but heard them talking about computers and was having problems of my own. They invited me to join them. “Of course, “ I said happily,  “If you’re sure I’m not imposing.” “There’s no imposing  here ”the bearded man replied. “We’re community.”

I knew immediately I had just come upon two more splendid people!! Hal and Mike.  It wasn’t long before we were joined by another couple of regulars. Their names escape me now but one was a tugboat captain and the other a fisherman. I so enjoyed the conversation along with my Maine blueberry pancake and fried egg. I hated to leave but had a yoga class to get to at the community center. “Come back again.” They said. You better believe I will. I sat across from the tugboat captain and had a chance to ask him a bit about his profession.  It was fascinating. He pulls barges from New England to Louisiana and then pushes them up river. He’s only home for 20 days at a time. Gone for 60.

At the yoga class I met a woman named Mary who invited me to join her and some friends as Sips (a local coffee bar and restaurant) that evening. Her husband and his bluegrass band would be playing. I had seen it advertised on a bulletin board downtown but probably wouldn’t have gone by myself.  I had to wonder “is EVERYONE  here hospitable???? Is it something in the water????

Then Susan, the neighbor from across the road, called and asked if I were free to do something. I had decided to take the day off from “shooting” and said “Yes! Perfect timing.” She picked me up and drove me to an area I had not seen. We had a beautiful walk along a harbor and beside some amazing marshland. I’ll have to make a trip back there for some camera work.

All of that said, for having taken the day off. It turned into quite a busy and extraordinary one. AND to top it all off, Alan did his magic once again and got the computer going. “It’s the battery” he said. He found that Walmart in the larger town of Ellsworth (off island ) had one.  In the meantime,  Alan said he had something to try. He took the battery out, blew on it, replaced it and it worked! Need I say I really appreciate Alan? I learned today that he used to be a beekeeper but his disabilities now keep him from driving to the bee hives so he is mentoring others in the art of beekeeping. Splendid, splendid Alan!

Sorry I am so long winded these days. Having you to share this with has made this experience all the richer. The photos for today’s post are from Tuesday’s excursion to Deer Isle. It was lovely. I’m off to Ellsworth for a new battery.  Enjoy your day, wherever you be!







4 comments:

  1. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having such a fine time there you may not come home! Wish I was in Maine with you! Your photos are AMAZING! Deb N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How deep, how wide, how abundantly rich the story of your life is on this great adventure of yours!! No wonder you're filled to over-flowing & feel you must share from your overflow!! Thank you, Terry!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There comes a special joy from being able to share this with all of you! As though a circle is completing. :) Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete