Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Fog, sunlight and a "splendid" one....

 Good morning from Maine! Yesterday i took a road trip and was unable to post. This morning i will post some images i took on Monday. It was a windy, rainy, rough weather morning that day. Very invigorating. Then the sun revealed herself and made for a "coatless" afternoon. Amazing change.  The first four shots were morning shots:





After the sun came out:





"The world is crowded with God. All ground is Holy and every bush , if we could perceive it,
 is a burning bush."

Elizabeth Barrett Browning


In addition to the wonders of nature i am encountering here. I am also encountering some "splendid" people. I took a trip with my friend T. B. once and she kept a list of all the "interesting" people we met along the way. It was great fun. I've borrowed her idea and am keeping a list of all the splendid people i am meeting on this trip. I can't tell you about them all. But today i would like to tell you about Nevin.

I met Nevin at the church bizarre last week where i had the wonderful seafood chowder in Somesville. She "just happened" to be sitting next to me. And after visiting, i discovered that she "just happened" to live right down the road from where i am staying in Southwest Harbor. Hmmmm. She is a widow (in her eighties) and lives by herself. She informed me that she loves "pop in" company. So Monday on my way home i stopped by and "popped in". She is a truthful lady.  She really does love "pop in" visitors. (I wonder how many of us could say that?! Ha!.) I felt welcomed immediately. She brewed me a homemade latte and we sat by her fireplace and had a nice 30 minute visit. We talked of her upcoming Thanksgiving trip, her cat Puto, and the female deer who came to her door last winter and became her friend. Even bringing her fawn to show to Nevin. I have no problem believing it!!

We also talked of the ruggedness of the sea. I told her how i had learned that each year two or three lives are lost in Acadia National Park due to people standing too far out on the rocks. What is called a "rogue" wave comes in unexpectedly and sweeps them away from what they thought was a safe viewing place. Very sad. She said, "It's not always the waves either." She told me of an accident she had been in while on a short boat trip. She, her husband, and two friends were headed home and a sudden fog came upon them. They crashed into some rocks and were all seriously injured. Her right arm was crushed and is now full of all kinds of pins etc. She said it took away her love of sailing and her ability to play tennis. But, it didn't take away her heart.  She makes my list of "splendid" people easily. I only wish she were going to be around. But she has left on her trip already. 

I'm here to shoot pictures but i'm also here to develop and eye to see those splendid ones who are around me and so often go unnoticed. Hope you see beauty in nature AND in people today. Cheers. 

4 comments:

  1. i love this story about Nevin. what a great reminder. and just so you know, YOU are on my splendid list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful photos and stories Terry. Really enjoying following these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant & beautiful photos, TC! And love your heart-warming stories. Looking forward to more of both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mary and Barry!! I'm glad to know you are enjoying the stories AND the photos. I hoped i wasn't going on too long!!! You have encouraged me!
    Kelly, you are on mine too......you too, Mary and Barry!

    ReplyDelete