Monday, November 18, 2013

Buildings, bridges, sunsets, and more.....

Last night I went to sleep to the sound of rain on the roof and hooray it’s still raining. The wind is blowing at a good clip and fog has enshrouded the harbor.  My kind of weather day.  

“For the man sound in body and serene of mind there is no such thing as bad weather; every day has its beauty, and storms which whip the blood do but make it pulse more vigorously.”                     George Gissing, "Winter,"     The Private Papers of Henry Ryecroft, 1903

Though I’m not always “serene of mind” I do agree with Mr. Ryecroft!


I’m hoping to give you a “feel” for the village of South West Harbor. I could live here very easily!! (Note to husband: I’ve seen several interesting homes sporting “for sale” signs.) Ah, but our sweet family is in the Midwest! Anyway, photos from last Saturday stroll through the town:

                           The Church i visited Sunday:




The Library in which i now sit:





The sign that drew me to buy my very first live lobster:



The traps used to catch her:




One of the docks:






A couple other buildings that took my eye. 






After my walk I attended a small church craft fair in the beautiful neighboring town of Somesville. It is best known for the bridge you see in the photo to follow:


I was happy to take part in the fund raising luncheon the church parishoners were hosting as part of the fair. I enjoyed the best seafood chowder I’ve ever had in my life!! The parish hall buzzed with conversation, activity and excitement.  They will be hosting a benefit dinner next week for their Philippine relief fund. I hope to make it back for that. Maybe seafood chowder will be on the menu again. (Fingers crossed.)XXX

After lunch I drove the coastal side of the scenic loop. Astounding.



The following quote verbalizes a tiny piece in the puzzle of my decision to come on this trip. Hope it inspires you in some way:
“ ‘Habits are cobwebs at first, cables at last’… goes an old Chinese Proverb and I’ve come to the Far North like others, to see narwhales and icebergs but also to airlift myself out of my habits for a week and try to remember that the world doesn’t have to be one particular way.  It can snow in June. Laundry detergent is a luxury.”  ~Anthony Doerr

Well I’m off to chase the weather.  But first, I’m meeting  a local photographer at his home; see his work and have him map out some places I should go.  I’m blessed beyond words to be experiencing such kindness.


4 comments:

  1. Terry, I had no idea you took such amazing pictures or that you are in Maine for November! Connie sent me a link to your blog and I am so jealous! I am so glad you are meeting some of the locals. Enjoy each moment!
    Deb Nielson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb!!!! Thanks for checking out the blog and taking time to say hi and comment. I am having a wonderful experience. Hope you are doing well and enjoying a beautiful November in Kansas (I'm thinking that is where you still are!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing for all of us that you decided to hit the road!! This is daily food for our imaginations and very well received. I can't for your next journey. Could I have another lobster please:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish you were here to share one with me Marsha. As a matter of fact i'm planning on picking another one up today!

    ReplyDelete