Friday, November 15, 2013

The Woods Took Me In

As Frost says,"The woods are lovely dark and deep." Ah, so true. Yesterday i felt welcomed by them and so many others. Just highlights today as i have "miles to go before i sleep". :)

Quick synopsis of what was day three of my trip:

Morning work on computer with Alan at the library. Note: it's working now. Fingers crossed.
Morning hike around echo Lake. Image to follow.
Drive to Bar Harbor.
Afternoon Hike around Eagle Lake. Images to follow.
Evening "shooting" at the dock. Images to follow
Cocktail that turned into dinner.....with Phil and Joan. That's a story to be shared.

First a few shots from Echo Lake walk:




Eagle Lake Walk:





Bar Harbor Bench:



Images from the Pier






And now a bit about Phil and Joan. I stopped in a small grocery store on Main and asked if there were any art galleries still open. "Across the street" the young woman said. "The Salty Dog". So i crossed over and went in. There i met Phil Steel and his lovely wife Joan. We had a great talk about Phils art which is a mixture of landscape and watercolor. Very large pieces, mainly of people and in bright colors. Quite impressive. They asked about me and when they found out what i was doing immediately asked me to join them for cocktails at their home that evening. (I must mention here that my son Ben told me he was praying that i would meet people quickly. Sounds like an answer to me!) I was excited about the opportunity to get to know them better and went about my day with happy expectation. 

When I arrived for cocktails Phil and Joan impored me to stay for a dinner of roast lamb, potatoes, asparagus (my favorite vegetable), biscuits and ice cream topped with blueberries. "It's already done!" 
they proclaimed with joyous faces. 

We enjoyed a delcious meal and wonderful conversation in their very warm, cozy, and artistic home. While Joan cleaned the kitchen (insisiting to do it herself). Phil and i visited by the fire about his love of music, his past life as an architect, what had brought them to be full time Mainer's etc. We listened to music and even made some of our own while i played the piano and he the harmonica. 

What splendid people! They have a photographer friend they want me to meet who they have high praise for as an artist and a person. "He knows the best places for you to photograph. Here is his number. Call him." 
"He won't feel imposed on?" i ask. "OH NO! He would love to show you his work. It's all at his home."

I may be in Maine "off season" but as i said before, i am anything but an "outsider" here! May have to come up with a new name for this blog!

I promise i won't write this much each time. Since the computer is working i thought i'd best take advantage. I'm off to do a loop drive of the island which Phil told me was a "must". Can't wait!

Remember:
"When something happens. Something else always happens."  ~From The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall

One final photo....the view from Phil and Joan's house:




3 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes! So delighted to hear how God is showing up. Bet your cup is overflowing. The pictures are gorgeous...what a great start! Can't wait to here more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kell. The trip has already exceeded my expectations. So glad i can share it with you this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful adventure story you're living in. Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete